Home Cook: Sharmini Jayawardena
Serves 4 persons
Cooking time: 45minutes
6 large Roma tomatoes
6 cloves garlic smashed with skin
1/2 diced big onion
Few sprigs fresh Basil
1tsp dry Oregano
1tsp dry Basil
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp black pepper powder
Sugar n sea salt to taste
4 tblsp Olive oil or Coconut oil
1/2 pkt spaghetti or as required.
Water to submerge spaghetti
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Dice tomato into small cubes.
- Pour oil into sauce pot and saute onions and garlic.
- Add diced tomato along with any juice to the pot n stir.
- Cover and cook.
- Boil salted water in a frying pan n bring to a boil.
- Add the spaghetti carefully into the pot and let it boil until al dente.
- Once the tomato is well cooked to a pulp add all flavor ingredients and stir and check for sweetness. Correct the seasoning.
- Once the spaghetti is cooked remove it with tongs into a bowl with a little of remaining water.
- Save any left over water in the pan. Add this to the sauce to improve its thickness.
- Garnish both the sauce and the spaghetti with fresh sprigs and leaves of Basil and serve. The colours resemble the Italian flag.
- Serve the spaghetti on to a plate and pour the thick sauce over the top .
- When eating mix the spaghetti with the sauce twist the spaghetti around a fork, on spoon and eat the twirl of sauce drenched spaghetti off the spoon.
Photos by Sharmini Jayawardena