A Simple and Basic Cake Recipe ? ? ?
Home Cook: Sharmini Jayawardena
225g (8oz) self-raising flour
225g (8oz) butter, at room temperature
225g (8oz) castor sugar
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsps vanilla extract
1. Pre-heat the oven at 180 degrees Centigrade.
2. Measure all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl or any other bowl.
3. Mix all of the ingredients using an electric whisk. I mixed by hand.
4. Divide mixture into two separate bowls and add colours to each of them and mix well. I added healthy drops of red and green food colour which in the end came out in light green and pink cakes??
4. Pour the mixture into two non-stick 7” tins. Or pour mixture into two 7” buttered and flour dusted regular tins.
5. Place them in the oven till golden brown 15-20 minutes. Or it passes the tooth pick test. When the toothpick comes out dry once inserted.
6. Cool on a wire rack before frosting.
(If you need a third colour like yellow in which case you do not have to add colour as the cake is any way yellow as it is, you can bake another cake with half these ingredients. But make sure you start mixing the ingredients only after the other two cakes are done. This is so that the baking powder doesn’t start to react before time.)
Basic Recipe for Frosting
1 1/2 cups (340g) butter, at room temperature
4 cups (500g) powdered sugar
4 tbls (60ml) heavy whipped cream
2 tsps (10ml) vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1. In a bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with whisk attachment whisk butter and sugar on medium high speed until very pale and fluffy or about 5 minutes.
I hand mixed the butter and sugar to this consistency.
2. Be sure to stop at least once and scrape the bowl with a rubber or plastic spatula.
3. Mix in the vanilla and salt.
4. Turn mixer on low blend for about 30 seconds.
5. One spoon at a time add in heavy cream.
6. Once all Cream has been added and mixture is mostly combined, turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
7. Now turn the mixer onto medium high and mix for 3-5 minutes or until frosting is shinny and seem to have many air bubbles throughout and this is exactly what we are going for. (You can Smooth those out on the cake if so desired.)
8. Now stack the cakes one on top of the other sandwiching each with a layer of frosting as you go.
9. Finally, cover the whole cake with frosting smoothening using a palette knife.
10. You can decorate the cake saving part of the frosting colouring it as desired and pipping different motifs on the top and also by pipping borders on the edges. I simply covered the cake with the self coloured frosting i.e. no colour added, and ran a fork over the frosted cake ?
We undertake to make your cakes to order and other dishes posted in Gournome. Contact Leaf Blogazine via email to place your orders.