Home Cook: Sharmini Jayawardena
A hot fave which comes out of the Leaf kitchen often for its deliciousness I guess, being the all time go to comfort food that it is!
125gm cheddar cheese (grated)
125gm medium flavored Parmesan cheese (grated)
125gm cream cheese (grated)
A few tablespoons butter
3 tsps all purpose flour
3 cups milk
2tbps bread crumbs
1 1/2 cups cleaned washed and chopped spinach
2 cleaned washed and chopped tomatoes
Salt and pepper
Pre-heat the oven at 450 degrees F or 230 degrees C for 20 mnts
1. Boil medium amount of water in a large pot. Add salt to taste. Add the macaroni.
2. Once the macaroni is boiled remove from fire and strain the macaroni into a pan. Save the water. Set aside.
3. To make a cheese sauce – In another pan, make a rue with melting some butter and adding the flour and stirring until the flour is cooked and the mixture looks golden in colour. Then add the milk to it, stir and add part of the water saved from boiling the macaroni to it to make a wet textured cheese sauce.
4. Keep stiring to avoid the flour from clumping.
5. Add all three cheeses and keep stiring.
6. Add the chopped spinach to the cheese sauce.
7. Add salt and crushed black pepper to taste. Remove from fire and set aside.
8. Add the boiled macaroni to it and mix well.
9. Grease two medium sized Pyrex dishes and pour in a part of the mixture into the two dishes.
10. Layer the chopped tomato in both dishes.
11. Add another layer of the macaroni mixture over on the top. Spread it around evenly.
12. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over it. Then spoon down a few blobs of butter all around the top of the breadcrumbed surfaces.
13. Place in the oven and bake for 30mnts.
14. Remove and serve. Yummm!