Home Cook: Sharmini Jayawardena
1 sachet of plain gelatine crystals
500gm sponge cake 🍰
1 can of any fruit 🍉 🍎 🍌 in syrup or
500gm stewed fruit
1 carton heavy cream
(When making this dessert attention should be paid to the colour of the ingredients as when you layer the ingredients in a glass dish the colours should let’s say, tell a story😁😍)
To make the cake 🍰
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C
2. Measure all of the ingredients (225gm or 8oz self-raising flour, 225gm or 8oz butter at room temperature, 225gm or 8oz castor sugar, 4 eggs, 1 tsp baking powder), into a large bowl.
3. Mix all of the ingredients using an electric whisk.
4. Pour the mixture into 2 non-stick 7” tins.
5. Place them in the oven till golden brown 15-20 mnts.
6. Cool on a wire rack before using/serving.
To make the jelly
1.Mix the gelatine crystles in an amount of boiling water in a glass dish (the jelly should not be too soft when set.) Add colour and flavour like strawberry 🍓 if you want it to be red or green if you want apple 🍏 and so on.
2.Mix well and cool it before leaving in the refrigerator to set.
Prepping the fruit
1.Drain the syrup from the fruit and sweeten it well.
2.Cut up the fruit into smaller pieces if they are too large.
To stew the fruit
1. Peel and cut up some Granny Smith apples 🍏 or pineapple 🍍or any berries into pieces and stew in sugar syrup until the fruit cooks or is semi-soft. Adding a small stick of cinnamon is optional.
Method for the Trifle
1. Bring the dish with the set jelly out of the refrigerator.
2. Halve the cake with a serrated knife and layer one half on top of the jelly, covering the edges well with the cake.
3. Now soak the cake by pouring part of the syrup evenly over the cake layer.
4. Place a layer of fruit pieces over the soaked cake layer.
5. Continue with another layer of cake and then soak it with syrup.
6. Then follow with another layer of fruit over that layer of cake.
7. Top it all up with a layer of thickly whipped heavy cream and spread it evenly.
8. Place the cherry 🍒 on top or any other decoration you like.