In the Spotlight
By Sharmini Jayawardena
Oregano 🌿 Oil
I found mention of oregano oil being made in The Nutrition Watchdog. With so much dog 🐕 🐶 involved in this year of the dog, I thought I must get down to the making of it.
I harvested our second pot of oregano which I identified as Oregano Vulgare, by comparing the shape of the leaf to a similar variety, in pix, online. It is this variety that is used in making oregano oil.
I followed a recipe but deviated from it where I found necessary.
1. Remove leaves from the stems and put them in a clean glass jar. (I used the tender stems as well, as they say every part of the oregano is efficacious.) The Greeks having called it “Mountain Joy” or “ Brightness of the Mountain⛰”
Make sure no part of the harvest is wet. For this will make bacteria grow in the oil.
2. Add the oil of your choice into the jar to barely cover the leaves. (I used organic extra virgin coconut🌴🥥 oil.)
3. Boil Water in a medium pot.
4. Place the jar in the boiling water. Reduce the flame🔥 to a simmer and leave for 10 minutes.
5.Remove from the water💧 bath and place the lid on it. Leave the jar by a window that has sunlight for 2 weeks.
6. Shake the jar a little once every few days.
Your Oregano Oil is ready for use now.
It is used for its medicinal values as follows:
Here are it’s efficacies –
1. It is an antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial, antiparasitic, antihistamine, immune system boosting, free radical scavenger! It is also an antioxidant and is anti inflammatory!
2. According to Herbal Rainnassance (1993) and Herbal Bounty (1984), by Steven Foster, oil of oregano is used in the treatment of indigestion, diarrhea, nervous tension, insect bites, toothache, earache, rheumatism, coughs and bronchitis!
📌 Herbs are natural, but they can be very strong💪, especially in extract form, such as in a product like oregano oil.
How to use oregano oil for medicinal purposes:
✳ Start with a small dose when taking internally, (3 drops in an ounce of water 💦 2 x daily). You will want more water to “chase it”. This oil has a very spicy-pungent flavour.
Reading📖 up on the subject is recommended, to make sure you have a good plan, before increasing your dosage and before taking it for more than 5 days in a row.
💢 Please note📝 that there is oil of oregano which is already diluted in a carrier oil, and there is oregano essential oil, which can be used for aromatherapy treatments as well as diluted in a carrier oil for using in the ways oil of oregano is used.
According to Dr Mercola, oregano oil is used in:
⏺ Treating foot or nail fungus.
⏺ In killing parasites and easing infections.
⏺ Alleviating sinus infections and colds.