Home Cook: Pham Thi Diem Thu
Serves four adults.
Ingredients for Fried Rice
2 1/2 cups of rice (500g)
A handful of onion leave6 tsps coarse sea salt
3 cloves of garlic
3 sausages (we used the red Vietnamese pork sausage)
Salt to taste
1 cup Nuoc Mam (Fish Sauce)
2 tea spoons sugar
3 table spoons coconut oil
2 tea spoons turmeric
Ingredients for Pumpkin Soup
1 sprig of onion leaf
2 cloves garlic
salt, sugar and pepper to taste
4 cups water
Ingredients and Method for Sauce (in the photo below top center)
1. 2 cloves garlic – finely chopped
2. 1 red chili finely chopped
3. 4 table spoons nouc mam
4. 3 tea spoons sugar
Method for Fried Rice
1. Cook the rice in a rice cooker.
2. Beat the 4 eggs in a bowl and add the nouc mam and sugar.
3. Pour the egg mix on to the cooked rice and set aside.
4. Finely chop the garlic, chili.
5.Chop the onion leaves evenly.
6. Boil and fry the sausages. Then slice the sausages into small cubes for mixing into the fried rice later on.
7. Add oil to a wok and fry the chopped garlic until golden brown.
8. Add the chopped sausage cubes to the wok and fry.
9. Add the cooked rice (mixed with egg) and fry for 5 – 7mins
10. Then add sugar, salt (to taste) and turmeric and continue to fry.
11. Finally add the chili and onion leaves just before the frying is complete.
Method for Soup
1. Cut the pumpkin into bite sized cubes.
2. Finely chop the garlic.
3. Add 2 table spoons of oil to a pot and fry the garlic until golden brown.
4. Add water (4 cups) and add the pumpkin cubes – boil for 10 mins.
5. Then add sugar, salt and nuoc mam to taste.
6. Add onion leaves and pepper before serving.