Home Cook: Sharmini Jayawardena
A Sri Lankan yellow rice🍚, meat🍖🥩curry, tempered potato🥔, brinjal curry🍛, tomato 🍅and cucumber🥒 salad🥗 with boiled eggs 🥚❣
Sri Lankan Yellow Rice – Kaha Bath 😋
3 rice cooker cups of white rice or samba rice
1/2 large onion sliced
10 pods cardamom (split)
15 seeds black pepper
2 medium pieces Ceylon cinnamon
2 large sprigs curry leaf
2 large pieces pandan leaf
3 tbls coconut oil
3 1/2 rice cooker cups coconut milk
2 tsps turmeric powder
1 1/2 tsps salt
For garnishing –
1/2 cup cashew nuts fried
1/2 cup raisins fried
3 Hard boiled eggs
1. Wash rice and drain.
2. Heat coconut oil in a deep pan. Add cashew nut and shallow fry until light brown and remove.
3. Do the same with raisins and remove into separate bowl.
4. Add half of all spices, herbs and onions to the pot and fry.
5. Once the aroma comes and the ingredients are fried, add the washed and drained rice to the pot and fry.
6. Remove the rice from the pot into the rice cooker.
7. Add the other half of the spices, herbs and onions to the rice cooker.
8. Make a mixture of thick and thin coconut milk, add the turmeric powder and salt and stir well.
9. Add the milk to the rice cooker, stir well and cook until done.
10. Remove lid and stir well, cover and keep.
11. Remove lid from the cooker and drain out the water collected in the lid.
12. Now the rice is ready.
13. Add the fried cashews and raisins and mix well.
14. Arrange on flat dish and decorate with boiled eggs.
15. Serve with other accompaniments.