Home cook: Sharmini Jayawardena
Serves 4 persons
Cooking time: 45minutes
6 large Roma tomatoes
6 cloves garlic smashed with skin
1/2 diced big onion
Few sprigs fresh Basil
1tsp dry Oregano
1tsp dry Basil
1/2 tsp cayenne chili powder
1/2 tsp black pepper powder
Sugar n sea salt to taste
4 tblsp Olive oil or Coconut oil
1/2 pkt spaghetti or as required.
Water to submerge spaghetti
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Dice tomato into small cubes.
- Pour oil into sauce pot and saute onions and garlic.
- Add diced tomato along with any juice to the pot n stir.
- Cover and cook. Meanwhile: To cook spaghetti –
- Boil salted water in a wide or shallow pan and bring to a boil.
- Add the spaghetti carefully into the pan and let it cook until al dente.
- Once the spaghetti is cooked; remove into your serving bowl (using tongs) with a little water from the pan. Add some oil or butter to the spaghetti and mix it so it won’t stick together. The water from boiling the spaghetti is your ‘liquid gold’! So, save it to be used in stews and in soups. It adds texture and a silky sheen to the dishes.
- Add some of your ‘liquid gold’ to your tomato sauce.
- Once the tomato is well cooked to a pulp add all flavor ingredients and stir and check for sweetness. Correct the seasoning.
- Garnish both the sauce and the spaghetti with fresh sprigs and leaves of Basil and serve. The colours resemble the Italian flag 🇮🇹.
- Serve the spaghetti on to a plate and pour the thick sauce over the top .
- When eating mix the spaghetti with the sauce twist the spaghetti around a fork, on spoon and eat the swirl of sauce drenched spaghetti off the spoon.
Photos by Sharmini Jayawardena