Home cook: Sharmini Jayawardena
Get that hunk of boar…
750 grams wild boar meat
6 tsps coarse sea salt
5 tsps crushed black pepper
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tblsps brown sugar
3 tblsps coconut oil
1/8 size piece cut carrot/pumpkin/apples/pineapple
A few sprigs of thyme
1. Wash and pat dry, the meat with kitchen paper towel.
2. With a fork poke holes in the entire piece of meat.
3. Rub the salt and pepper thoroughly all over the meat. Leave to rest for about 1/2 hour.
4. Heat the oil in a deep pot. Pick up the piece of meat with tongs and sear the meat in the heated oil. Make sure the meat is seared all over. Remove from pot.
5. Arrange the cubed vegetable/fruit in the bottom of the pot. (I used 2 carrots cubed at 1/8 pieces).
6. Place the meat on top of the vegetable/fruit.
7. Mix the apple cider vinegar and brown sugar together and pour over the meat.
8. Pour water to barely cover the meat.
9. Cover and slow cook, until the liquid evaporates and a thick gravy remains at the bottom of pot. (I slow cooked for 1 hour).
10. Once the meat is almost done throw the thyme ? over the meat.
11. Cook until done.
12. Remove meat and vegetable/fruit with tongs on to a plate.
13. Mix some water together with a little flour and add it to the gravy in the pot, to make a thick and smooth gravy. Check for seasoning.
14. Arrange the vegetable/fruit around the meat on a plate.
15. Serve the gravy separately in a gravy boat.
16. Serve with boiled potatoes or bread or even mash potato.
17. It tastes best eaten over a couple of days.