Home Cook: Sharmini Jayawardena
200 grams or more of grated jaggery/gula Melaka/hakuru
3/4 cup very thick coconut?? milk?
10 pods cardamom de-seeded and powdered
1 pinch of salt
Sugar to taste
1. Beat the eggs in a bowl. Add the grated jaggery and stir well.
2. Add the coconut milk and stir well.
3. Powder the cardamom seeds in a pestle and mortar. Add the powdered cardamom and stir well until the jaggery is completely dissolved.
4.Add the pinch of salt, stir and check for sweetness.
5. Add sugar to taste. Keeping in mind that this pudding is going to be steamed or baked and you need to err on the side of more sweetness than less.
6. Now strain the liquid through a fine strainer, so that all the albumin of the egg and other sediment are well strained.
7. Pour the contents into a medium sized stainless steel bowl, preferably, and steam it for 40 minutes, covered with aluminum foil, to prevent water getting inside the pudding.
8. Take the pudding out of the steamer and serve warm or cooled in the refrigerator.