By home cook Sharmini Jayawardena
This is a simple pie for dinner 🥘 🍴 🍽. This is my mother’s recipe.
200gms Sausages (I used Nuerenberger Bratwurst)
4 medium-sized Russet, or Idaho potatoes
175-200 gms Butter (I used Australian butter)
4 leaves Basil or a fresh herb of your choice
A pinch or two of ground nutmeg powder
A pinch or two of lime zest
Salt (I used my herb salt)
1. Boil the potatoes.
2. Fry the sausages by adding a little water to the pan and browning them when the water evaporates. Remove from fire and cut them in to 1/2” pieces.
3. To make the mash –
🔸Peel potatoes while they are hot. In a bowl, mash the potatoes with a masher or like me with a fork or put them in to your food processor. Make into a mash just like the word says. I like to keep a few lumps.
🔸Add butter, salt🧂and pepper and mix well. Now add the nutmeg, lime zest and chopped fresh herbs 🌿 and mix well.
4. Mix in the sausages. Mix well so that it’s all equally distributed.
5. Grease a regular backing tin, or preferably a deep round glass oven proof dish so the pie is visible from all around.
6. Now scoop out the sausage and mash mixture in to the baking tin. Flatten the top surface and pipe in some of the mash to create a design. I created a rustic design on the surface with a fork. With a brush, lightly brush some cold water allover the surface, so that it browns nicely when baked.
7. Bake the pie at 120 degrees C until it browns on the sides and on the top. I baked mine for nearly 20 minutes.
8. Remove from oven. Your dinner is ready.