By home cook Sharmini Jayawardena
6 Slices of leftover bread. (I used sandwich bread).
11 tbls of brown sugar or jaggery,(grated).
9 tbls white sugar
1 1/2 cups Milk (If you are using powdered milk add 13 tbls of milk powder to 1 1/2 cups water)
A handful of raisins
Lime zest of 1 lime (I grated the skin of a lime on the gauge before the finest).
3 tsps essence of vanilla. (I ran out of vanilla so I used nutmeg powder).
1. Butter the bread on both sides. Break up the slices of bread and prep to arrange them in an oven proof greased dish. I used a 5 cup or 1.2 L Pyrex dish.
2. Get the milk 🥛 ready as indicated in Ingredients above.
3. Break the eggs 🥚 one by one in to a separate bowl and then add to another bowl for beating the eggs. This is to make sure you don’t add spoiled eggs into the milk. Beat the eggs and add them to the milk.
4. Add both sugars to the milk and mix well.
5. Add the Vanilla to the milk and mix well.
6. Grease the Pyrex dish with butter 🧈.
7. Place a layer of bread in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with some zest and raisins. Then, pour some of the milk mixture, enough to soak the bread.
Continue layering in this way until you reach the top of the dish. Sprinkle the last of the zest and raisins over the top layer of bread . Pour all the milk over the top layer and let the bread soak in it.
8. Once the bread is soaked, cover the dish with aluminum foil paper.
9. Steam the pudding for 20 minutes. Let it cool in the steamer, take it out and serve warm or cold.