By Home cook Sharmini Jayawardena
Sri Lankan (Sinhala) Salad 🥗 side dish to be eaten together with yellow rice or with plain rice and other accompaniments.
Salaadhey goes well with plain steamed rice and accompaniments like dhal curry, chicken curry, mutton curry or wild boar curry, potato tempered, brinjal curry, pol sambol, seeni sambol and other side dishes.
½ long cucumber (I used Japanese cucumber)
1 large tomato
½ medium big onion
Juice of one lime
3 small green chilies (You can adjust as you wish)
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsps white or brown sugar
A sprinkling of pepper powder
A sprinkling of a few shavings of Maldive fish (Optional)
A little coconut milk (Optional)
1.Cut the top off of the cucumber and rub it on the surface of the cucumber to remove the pith or the bitterness from the cucumber like so ⬇️
2. Wash and slice the cucumber 🥒.
3. Wash and slice the tomato 🍅.
4. Wash and slice the onion 🧅.
5. Wash and slice the green chillies.
Juice of one lime.
6. Into the bowl they all go.
7. Toss the salad. Or preferably, wear a glove and mix it with your fingers.